pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Scoring a random set of articles?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Scoring a random set of articles?
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 03:38:35 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:02:11 -0500 as excerpted:

> Is there any way to manually set the score of articles that I've
> highlighted?

Not really.  Scoring works on scoring conditions.  Unless you can define a
satisfactory scoring condition that applies to all those articles as a
group, and that isn't overbroad, applying to articles NOT in that group,
no.

However, as I've posted before, the scorefile format is actually quite
flexible, with the PAN GUI not really doing it justice.  Editing it
directly, combining all the GUI-added scores you've added over the years
and removing old, expired ones, can not only seriously optimize the
application of those scores (and the readability of the scorefile), but
allows enough flexibility that you'd be surprised at how much you can
actually do with what's there, and how concise and efficient the result
can end up being.  Eventually your need to constantly fiddle with scoring
to get the desired result goes down dramatically, as it's all pretty much
handled automatically, with occasional exceptions as spamming methods (and
obfuscated keywords) change, or for new temporary non-spam blocks, watch-
threads, etc.   And permanent additions become trivial to add and maintain
along with the previous ones, too.

Having just finished one on a different list/group, I'm not in the mood
for one of my multi-hundred-line replies, so I'll simply refer you to
earlier posts I've made to the list on the subject.