pan-users

[Pan-users] Result of Astraweb Trouble-Ticket

From: Mark S Bilk
Subject: [Pan-users] Result of Astraweb Trouble-Ticket
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 21:04:48 -0700

Astraweb help-desk totally blew me off.  And they didn't bother
to read my message carefully, nor answer my questions.  The
sequence of four messages follows:

*** 1 to astraweb -- original trouble-ticket *************************

Hi,

I posted five test articles to alt.test via Astraweb yesterday.
The newsreader Pan, version 0.135 (the latest), can see the
headers of all five, but can download the bodies of only the
first two.  The headers of the three problematic articles show
bogus line counts of 800+ in Pan.  Another person using Pan
has the same problem with those articles; they are also using
Astraweb.  We can both read all five articles from Astraweb
using other newsreaders than Pan.  I and several others can
read them all from other news servers using Pan.

I think there may be some subtle incompatibility between Pan
and Astraweb in the way they implement the NNTP protocol, that
occasionally corrupts article headers and makes the article
bodies unretrievable.

Before I attack this problem with a network packet analyzer,
I'd like to know if you folks have heard of it before and if
any progress has been made toward solving it.

The five articles referred to are all included below.  Some were
retrieved by KNode from Astraweb, and some by Pan from Blocknews.
I posted them all via Astraweb.  BTW, I've been an Astraweb customer
for a year (for binaries) and am very happy with your service!

  Thanks,

  Mark S Bilk
  address@hidden

[I included all 5 articles with all headers here.]

*** 2 from astraweb **************************************************

Hi Mark,

Could you please try using other newsreaders first and see
if you are able to retrieve the articles? Thank you.

Your E-mail is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Ticket Details

===================

Ticket ID: BAZ-407744

*** 3 to astraweb ****************************************************

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 06:52:25PM -0700, Astraweb Helpdesk wrote:
>Hi Mark,
>
>Could you please try using other newsreaders first and see
>if you are able to retrieve the articles? Thank you.

Hi,

The text of my ticket includes the sentence:

"We can both read all five articles from Astraweb
using other newsreaders than Pan."

Do you still have access to that text?  If not, I have
appended it to the end of this message.

Have you had reports of this problem before?

Has anyone researched the cause of the problem?  I would
like to know before I devote a lot of my time to it.

Astraweb works with many other newsreaders, and Pan works
with many other Usenet providers.  I think that neither
is at fault, but that some small difference in interpretation
of the NNTP protocols occasionally is causing this problem.

  Mark

>Your E-mail is much appreciated.
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Daniel
>
>Ticket Details

>Ticket ID: BAZ-407744

[I included the text of my original message here, since they
obviously hadn't read much of it.]

Hi Mark,

If other newsreaders work fine, We would suggest you to contact
the author of Pan newsreader for more information. Thank you.