pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem with Pan and rsync

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem with Pan and rsync
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 09:54:50 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2011 10:53:01 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 08/27/2011 01:05 AM, Duncan wrote:
>> I don't know for sure, but I can GUESS:  If you indeed used ~/ for
>> /home/username/  in both cases, as the (part that I can make out of
>> the) above indicates, that might have been the mistake, since the shell
>> (on the machine you're running the rsync command from) expands that
>> itself --
>> to the local value.
>
> First, everything else seems to sync OK and second, I have the same
> username on both machines so that's not an issue.

But was the shell you ran the rsync from that same user?  Because that's
what's where the ~ gets substituted -- all rsync sees is the substitution
fed it by the shell, and if you were running the shell as a different
user (for instance, root) when you did the rsync, that user's home (say
/root if it was a root shell you ran the rsync from) is what would have
been substituted.

It's the same way as with ls *.  It's the shell that does the
substitution for *, so ls simply gets a list of filenames from the shell
and lists them -- ls never sees "*" at all, but a list of filenames, and
rsync never sees ~/ at all, but the homedir of the user running the shell
that rsync is from from.

Or if you ran it directly, (not from a shell but from say a run dialog),
then (I believe) rsync would have seen the ~/ and treated it literally,
no substitution on rsync's part.