pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Problem with Heinrich's github repo?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Problem with Heinrich's github repo?
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:37:35 +0000 (UTC)

walt posted on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 10:00:30 -0700 as excerpted:

> Hi Heinrich.  Tried just now to pull from github and got this: error:
> while accessing https://github.com/judgefudge/pan2/info/refs
>
> Any ideas?

You're doing something wrong, but I can't tell what, based on the sparse
level of info you posted.

First, I didn't know git could take https:// URLs.  Perhaps it can, but
I've always used git:// URLs instead.  (Tho if it can take https:// , in
theory that's more secure since git:// isn't encrypted and is thus
subject to MitM attacks if you're using, say, a public wireless access
point.)  Github does do https:// , but I've always used that for
interactive browsing, not git pulls.

Second, as Heinrich mentions, you need to clone the repo before you can
pull.  There's no hint in your post as to whether you're updating an
existing copy (pull), or creating a new one (clone).

Third, that path is... unusual... and does indeed produce an error when I
try to fetch it from github.  My browser has an "up" button, which
shortens the path by one file or subdir element and tries again, and ...

https://github.com/judgefudge/pan2

... returns the expected repo information page, but both info and
info/refs return errors.  This might actually be related to point one, if
you're attempting to clone or pull using https:// instead of git://,
since that would indeed be the path of a "bare repo", without a working
dir checked out.  (In a normal repo with a working dir, it'd be
.git/info/refs .)

If that doesn't give you enough information to solve the problem, try
explaining a bit more about what you're doing, an initial git clone, a
git pull on an existing local copy of a remote repo, or something else,
and what the actual command is you're using (and whether you're using a
bare repo or a normal one, if it already exists), etc.