pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] message formatting

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] message formatting
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:25:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 09:32:30 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Hendrik Boom posted on Fri, 28 Oct 2011 20:01:21 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> I sometimes have occasion to cut text from a shell window and paste it
>> into a message.  It looks OK when i edit it, but after I post it and it
>> gets back to me, the formatting is completely screwed up, with newlines
>> appearing at random places, and the original newlines completely gone.
>> Presumably someone thinks this is useful.
>>
>> Is there some way to prevent this?
>
> Jim already hinted at this, but here it is a bit more explicitly.  If it
> looks OK when you post it (using pan), that's how it's sent -- pan posts
> as it displays.
>
> However, on the receiving side, pan has two wrap modes, and you're
> probably in auto-wrap mode, which might be just fine for flowed text but
> doesn't work with pre-formatted content such as tables, ascii-art, etc,
> because it re-flows them, too.
>
> What you want is unwrapped (aka manually wrapped, as-is) mode.
>
> The function that toggles between these modes is view, body pane, wrap
> article body.  By default, the "w" hotkey is assigned to it, so as Jim
> says, simply hitting "w" should toggle between the two wrap-modes when
> viewing a message.

Thanks.

'w' worked; it's a lot better.  There's still an issue with tab spacing,
but I should know better than to post tabs anyway.  Who knows what the
recipient's newsreader will do with them!

It there a way of seeing tabs in messages being posted so I can choose to
do something about them?

-- hendrik