pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Command line use; download of nzb files does not stop

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Command line use; download of nzb files does not stop
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 03:23:41 +1100

Graham Lawrence wrote:
Please excuse my last 2 posts, I received a note that I should not
top-post, so to those two, I bottom-posted, which seems even worse.

The purpose of email is communication. Anything which makes communication more difficult should be avoided, whether that is top-posting without giving context, bottom-posting with masses of irrelevant quoted text, or anything else.

This time I'm deleting all the repeated text by hand.  Perhaps one of
you would be kind enough to say if this produces the proper format for
your mailing list.

In general, you should interleave your replies between the paragraphs you are replying to, like this post, and delete anything irrelevant to your reply. You should leave enough quoted text to establish context, without feeling the need to quote an entire week's worth of posts just to reply to one or two sentences.

It is common sense really: before pressing Send, consider how your email will appear to the recipient. Will it make sense? Can they understand what you are responding to? Do they have to scroll through 20 pages of quoted text to see your reply?

Thank you.

--
Steven