pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] configure fails on GMIME package check

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] configure fails on GMIME package check
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 17:44:21 +0000 (UTC)

Mike Brown posted on Fri, 06 Apr 2012 07:41:41 -0500 as excerpted:

> System is Fedora 13 64-bit.
>
> When configure is run from the 135 source, it bails when it gets to the
> gmime package test.
>
> The problem is that while gmime 1.5.1-1 is installed (yum is used), but
> a "pc" file is not created, so pkg-config doesn't think it is on the
> system.
>
> What is needed to get around this issue?

That one's fairly easy, I think. =:^)

On binary-based distros such as Fedora, most users don't do a lot of
building from sources, so common library packages are split in half, the
"runtime" half containing the binaries, etc, and the "dev" half that
contains the pc files, headers, etc, necessary to build anything
depending on those libraries.

You have the runtime half installed but are trying to build something
depending on it, so need the dev half as well.  Look for a gmime-dev
package of the same version.  Install it and you should get past that,
but will likely have the same issue with a few other libs as well.

IIRC from my Mandrake years (nearly a decade ago but...), rpm-based
distros have srpms, aka src.rpms, available, that track build-time
dependencies and allow you to rebuild the package from sources.  If you
first find the old pan 0.133 or whatever srpm and try to rebuild pan
using it, it'll pull in all the dependencies it needed for building that
version.  That will install most of what you need, tho it's possible
there will be a few newer or added dependencies in the newer pan version
that you're actually trying to build.  But it'll be more like one or two,
than 10 or a dozen, which you'd otherwise be finding out about one at a
time, as your configure failed at a later point each time as you
installed them.

FWIW, that's one of the bonuses of running a source-based distro such as
gentoo, which I run now.  Since the assumption is then that you build
everything yourself, including whatever triggered your install of the
library package, it makes little sense to split such packages into
runtime and -dev packages.  That means that even when building something
outside the normal packaged system, it's much easier, as far more of them
are already installed in ordered to build packages that ARE tracked by
the packaged system. =:^)  Of course the same thing could be accomplished
with a normally binary-based distro by using srpms for everything, but
because the assumptions are still different, that's not as easy either --
less of it is automated and what is handled automatically doesn't expose
the same level of build-time options that a good source-based distro will
give you.  For instance, packages that can be built with additional kde
and gnome support both, will usually be built with the optional support
and linked in dependencies turned on for the one the distro defaults to,
but turned off for the other one, since it'll bring in more
dependencies.  If you happen to prefer a desktop other than the one the
distro defaults to, you thus end up with less optional support for it
than you might like, while it drags in additional deps for the optional
support for the default desktop, which you normally don't run anyway.
One of the advantages (beyond not having to worry about -dev packages) of
a good from-source distro is that such build-time-optional deps will
normally be exposed for the user to control.  In gentoo, such options are
exposed as USE flags.