pan-users

[Pan-users] Deleting headers Was: Pan-users Digest, Vol 112, Issue 13

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Deleting headers Was: Pan-users Digest, Vol 112, Issue 13
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 03:48:41 +0000 (UTC)

jimmckenzie-ihVZJaRskl1bRRN4PJnoQQ posted on Sat, 12 May 2012 13:53:16
-0400 as excerpted:

jimmckenzie-ihVZJaRskl1bRRN4PJnoQQ posted on Sat, 12 May 2012 13:53:16
-0400 as excerpted:

> Unfortunately it's not there in .136, would have done what I want to do
> though. Thanks for trying.

Please don't top post, at least on the pan lists!  There's a reason pan
warns about it, and it's worthwhile noting that some of us use pan to do
our subscribed lists (via gmane.org's list2news service).

Digest mode makes it a bit tedious, but you can still edit to just the
post you are replying to, perhaps the segment of the post if it's a long
one like the ones I often post, and reply below that in context.  If you
don't do it, you just make the person replying do it to try to bring
things back into sanity, and they may instead decide it's simply not worth
the bother.

Below I did your work for you.

>>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
>>"Re: Contents of Pan-users digest..."

Can't follow instructions in the digest either, it seems.  Could you
follow instructions if I posted help?  Maybe we'll find out.

(Quoting level doctored.)

>Message: 2 Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 07:57:40 +0000 (UTC) From: Bob
><address@hidden>

>>On Sat, 12 May 2012 00:16:49 -0400, jimmckenzie-ihVZJaRskl1bRRN4PJnoQQ
>>wrote:
>>
>>> It seems like older versions had the ability to change this and 0.136
>>>doesn't seem to. Is there a way to fix/change/alter this? Confirming
>>>the deletes is getting a bit tedious to say the least.
>>>
>>> Any/All help will be appreciated.

>>I really am not sure on 0.136 as I am running 0.137, but try Edit in the
>>menu, then Articles.
>>
>>The third line down is " Always ask before deleting an article".
>>
>>Is this what you mean.

(reinserting the below quote in the context where it belongs)

> Unfortunately it's not there in .136, would have done what I want to do
> though. Thanks for trying.

Absent that option (and I've only been doing text groups where I keep
headers "forever" for some years, but I used to do it this way when I did
binaries), you can at least use the multi-select feature, to select a
whole group (or several) of headers at once, then hit delete just once for
the entire group.

The usual shift-click/ctrl-click multi-select functionality should work.
If you prefer keyboard-only, shift-arrow/ctrl-arrow (and space to select)
works.

You can change the column sort order and toggle threaded/unthreaded to get
better grouping.

Also note that actions (see preferences) can now take advantage of scores
to auto-delete ignored posts, for instance, as well as auto-download
watched and/or auto-mark-read negative-scores that aren't yet ignored...
but you can set the action to whatever score-zone you like.
That way, you don't have to ever see ignored posts at all, and they don't
sit there still marked unread if you have the view filter set to not show
them.  I THINK that feature made it into 0.136.  If not, you have
something to look forward to for the next upgrade. =:^)