pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] squished headers pane columns

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] squished headers pane columns
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:52:44 +0000 (UTC)

thufir posted on Wed, 03 Oct 2012 06:36:37 +0000 as excerpted:

> At first the additional columns were squished to, I guess, a zero width,
> but by stretching or shrinking the first column other columns then
> became visible.  Weird.

I've seen that a few times too (but not that I recall with pan), in three
different types of instances.

1) The app had no way to toggle off a column but I didn't use it, so I
made it zero-width.

2) A column judged to be for "expert" use.  IIRC kde3's task list used to
do this with PPID, since it already displayed PID, and had a "tree"
option that would make parent (and thus its PID) obvious already.

3) Cases where an app changed config file format, and I was using the new
version with the old config file.  (A sub-case of this is when a toolkit-
library such as gtk changes, thus changing the app's layout even if it's
exactly the same app code only now built against and/or simply running
with a new toolkit library; it doesn't have to be the /app's/ code that
changes!)

This last case is the one I was wondering about, since you'd just
upgraded, thus my suggestion to test with a fresh user config if you'd
kept /home and reused the same user config after the upgrade.

Meanwhile, it's worth noting that in some, but not all cases, a zero-
width column is hinted at in the GUI, if you know what to look for.  It
can be either a slightly different divider (like a double-divider) when
they're stacked, or a different divider-hover-arrow.

In kde and very possibly all qt apps, hovering over the divider shows a
divider-arrow, like this:

<-|->

... instead of the normal simple double-headed arrow.  The kde app I just
tried wouldn't let me zero-width a column, but IIRC, where it's possible
to have zero-width columns and thus stacked dividers, kde/qt changes  to:

<-||->

That makes it a bit easier to discover and expand the hidden columns, but
you still have to hover in the right spot, so either having a minimum
width of something like a half a character, or having a distinctive
divider symbol for stacked dividers in the title row, makes finding the
hidden columns even easier.

But FWIW, tho kde/qt apps give me the "divider arrow", gtk2 apps only
give me the usual double-headed arrow.  I don't have gtk3 installed, so I
can't say what it does.