pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Connection limit locked at 4?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Connection limit locked at 4?
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 06:48:25 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Tue, 05 Feb 2013 01:37:26 +0000 as excerpted:

> Meanwhile, I'd suggest that in most cases you'll likely get best thruput
> at perhaps 10 connections, depending on the speed of the storage you're
> saving to as well as on the speed of your network connection and/or
> number and speed of CPU cores.    IOW, you'll almost certainly hit a
> bottleneck elsewhere, before you hit that 30 connections limit, and
> above that, you're just doing more work at a lower speed per connection
> to maintain the overall same or lower download speed.  Even four
> connections will likely come pretty close to hitting the bottleneck,
> rather closer than you might think.

That said, especially for paying customers, there's reason to allow 20+
connections, but it has more to do with customer convenience in allowing
connections from multiple machines (presumably NAPTed behind the same
public IP using a common consumer-grade gateway router/NAPT device, so
they can presume it's not breaking the usual ban on multiple-public-IP-
access) than it does with maximizing thruput.

A great example is an internet friend I knew several years ago, who had
his main binary harvester machine setup for maximum thruput when it's the
only thing connected, but his wife could still connect from her computer
with a few connections to check her needlepoint groups, etc, and he could
connect his laptop with a couple connections to keep up with his text
groups at the same time as well.  Neither his wife's needlepoint nor his
text groups really used much bandwidth, so it didn't take much away from
the binary harvester going full throttle in the other room, but the extra
connections allowed them to be flexible with their multi-machine usage,
without having to worry about hitting the connection limit.

But of course a single client per-server connection cap like the GNKSA-
based one pan honors in the GUI, wouldn't have changed their setup much
at all, since the bottleneck on the binary harvester machine thruput was
the main internet connection even with only a few connections.

But that /was/ before multi-core systems with high-speed-write SSDs
became common, and general inet speed caps have grown a bit too since
then.  Still, the same general principle continues to apply.