pan-users

[Pan-users] A bug only a nerd could love (Duncan? :;)

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] A bug only a nerd could love (Duncan? :;)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 19:35:02 -0700

Well (as usual for a dedicated nerd) I've changed so many things at the same
time
that I can't tell which change may (if there is a bug) have caused this
behavior:

I'm running the latest git [d7bd6aa1] as usual.  I was fetching a gazillion
headers
from my primary news server when I decided to test pan's recent
header-compression
feature.

I opened the 'edit servers' dialog and selected the 'XZVER' option (I already
know
this particular server supports XZVER) and clicked 'okay'.

Well, pan's entire gui interface locked up instantly, including the 'edit
servers'
dialog box, and the network traffic halted at the same instant.

However, I saw that the pan process was still consuming 100% of (one) CPU even
while the pan gui remained completely unresponsive.

Well, I thought, strace should give me some info, so I sicked strace on the pan
process -- and strace gave me absolutely nothing even while the pan process was
consuming 100% of (one) CPU.

WTF?

Next I sicked gdb on the pan process and found that pan was evidently stuck in
some infinite loop involving the glib sockets and istream libs, but I lack the
expertise to take this any further.

As a postscript, I examined my ~/.pan2/servers.xml and found that pan had saved
my 'XZVER' choice correctly before freezing up.

I'm thinking (maybe?) that pan needs to open a new socket for the compressed-
header istream instead of trying to read from the old (uncompressed) socket
connection?

This is all beyond my ken and I'm off to bed now...