pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 Windows - ignored authors

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139 Windows - ignored authors
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:15:31 +0000 (UTC)

David WE Roberts posted on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:53:13 +0000 as excerpted:

> On my system, if I ignore a particularly annoying author then any
> threads started by this author are not properly threaded - they appear
> 'orphaned'.
>
> I can see that if the original post is thrown then there is no obvious
> point to hang the threads on but this does make the whole ordering thing
> quite difficult.
>
> How hard might it be to have a 'dummy' node of some kind for threads
> started or posted to by an ignored author so that the structure of the
> thread can be maintained without the post by the ignored author being
> displayed?

I don't see how that could work well, without potentially causing more
problems than it solves.  But pan already has a way to do it as described
below.  You just have to decide which bothers you more, the unanchored
thread with ignored not displayed, or the anchored threads with ignored
displayed.

Unless you have pan "actions" set to delete ignored posts, they're still
there, just not displayed by default.  But in the view menu, header pane
submenu, you can set pan to display ignored (which simply means -9999 or
lower scored) posts, thereby providing the anchor you are looking for.
If you have the score field displayed and the colors set reasonably for
it, you'll still see that it's an ignored post and skip it, while it
still anchors its followups.

Alternatively, you can set ignored thread/subthread, and not see any of
the unanchored followups either, but if you're like me, that doesn't work
so well as often you still want to read some of the followups.

Meanwhile, this should be too big a bother to people who show only unread
posts, because they're used to unanchored posts on continuing threads
anyway, since the first posts in the thread were often read in previous
sessions and are thus not shown as they're not unread.