pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: multiple selections in task list

From: Heinrich Müller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feature request: multiple selections in task list
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 11:14:40 +0200

Am 30.04.2013 07:32, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 05:07:45AM +0000, Duncan wrote:
Jay posted on Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:25:24 +0800 as excerpted:

I know this won't make it into version 1.0 at this late date, maybe not
even in 1.1,
FWIW, 1.0 has been at the top of the changelog for years, thru various
lead developers and in fact a full rewrite from C into C++, so when/if
1.0 happens is more or less arbitrary, but from my perspective (as a user
and list participant since the gnome-1-pan era, since 2002 so over a
decade now), pan is now 1.0-feature-complete, having gotten in the last
year or two both a replacement for the old-pan rules in the form of the
auto-* actions (preferences, actions tab), and the last couple long-
missing features to fill things out, binary posting and secure-connection
ssl/tls support (along with several other less major features).  So from
my perspective, it's ready for a 1.0 as soon as the current devs deem it
stable enough. =:^)
Alas, I don't believe Pan is sufficiently mature for a 1.0 release in
2013. Or even 2000 for that matter.

- No Auto-save: messages being worked on are not automatically saved, so
if something kills Pan while you are editing a message, that message is
gone forever;
that function is already there, but has a few usability problems...

- No Sent Items: messages that you send are not kept anywhere, unless
you manually save them as a draft before sending, so if you post a
message and it gets eaten by the receiving news server, it is gone
forever;
available in pan-git

- Lousy default file names: saving drafts apparently defaults to
whatever file name you last used, regardless of the subject line of the
message you are working on;

- Ignoring 30 year old UI guidelines, leading to data-loss: when saving
drafts, Pan does not warn you when you are about to override an existing
file, so it is trivially easy to override existing drafts;
those two could be incorporated in a feature request. would you drop me one on bugzilla?

- Poor handling of HTML attachments: HTML attachments are displayed
inline as raw text, instead of handled gracefully (e.g. shown as an
attachment).
available in pan-git

cheers,
heinrich