pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan broken on Ubuntu Raring?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan broken on Ubuntu Raring?
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 15:07:39 +0000 (UTC)

Duncan posted on Mon, 20 May 2013 22:49:10 +0000 as excerpted:

> 2) Can you (or others reading that use pan-0.139 or live-git with gntls/
> ssl/tls support turned off) confirm that as I had guessed, the security
> section at the bottom of the server config dialog disappears if gnutls
> support it turned off at compile time, thus making checking for that in
> the GUI an easy way for normal users to check whether they have that
> support builtin or not?

FWIW, I just fetched and rebuilt pan after about 10 days off (during
which I switched to ssd storage and btrfs, reorganized partitioning,
learned a bit more about initramfs and created and started using one to
boot my dual-device raid1-mode btrfs root filesystem on the new ssds...
busy time!)...

And all sorts of pan stuff seems to have broken in the mean time,
including the build-time detection of gnutls, so pan built without it as
it couldn't detect it to build with it.

Meaning I experienced first-hand the "broken pan" effect this thread was
all about.  Since I only have my text instance up and running ATM, and
it's only connected to gmane these days, at first I thought gmane must be
down.  But after several hours, I got to wondering.  Luckily I remembered
this thread, and went to server settings to check.

Sure enough, missing ssl settings.  Sure enough, set it back to the
standard clear-text nntp port 119, and I connected right back up!

So then I went to go find this thread and do a followup, and that's when
I noticed the OTHER breakage!  But that really belongs in a new thread.

Meanwhile, I still have to dig into the gnutls detection and figure out
why pan quit detecting it... maybe it's a pan change, more likely pan
can't see the latest gnutls due to changes there... and patch/hack/
downgrade/change-build-time-settings as appropriate to fix it.

... And I have to figure out the other breakage and fix it too.  Seems a
whole submenu went missing somewhere along the line, with a function I
had a hotkey assigned to, that's now broken!