pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139: Where -in .pan2 - are setup info for fonts an

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 0.139: Where -in .pan2 - are setup info for fonts and window area sizes kep?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:19:23 +0000 (UTC)

andreas nastke posted on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 13:46:13 +0200 as excerpted:

> should be located in '${PAN_HOME}preferences.xml' - near the bottom, i
> think

<shaking head> Upside-down replies screwing things up.  There's a reason
pan warns about such things.

> Maurice schrieb:
>> Is there a file in .pan2 where the setup info on fonts and sub-window
>> sizes are kept, that is separate from general news server access?
>>
>> (The reason I ask is because when away from base with laptop or
>> netbook, I clone the current .pan2 onto lapop or netbook on which - for
>> reasons of different screen sizes - I want to retain individual
>> laptop/netbook font/window sizes, and was hoping to be able to do that
>> by omitting one (or more) files from the cloning across to
>> laptop.netbook (and back).)

Indeed.  preferences.xml.  There's a bunch of stuff in there, but in
general it should all be reasonable to keep each machine's preferences.xml
file to itself -- don't transfer that file.

In general, you'll want to transfer the newsrc files, which track read
messages, and probably everything in the groups subdir, which is pan's
header cache, and the newsgroups.xov file, which tracks per-server-per-
group high-water-marks.

You may or may not want to transfer the article-cache subdir -- pan
limits cache size to 10MB by default in any case, so no /big/ deal, but
some people might wish to transfer it, especially if as I do they set a
huge cache and keep everything, unexpiring.  Of course in that case
putting the cache on a thumb-drive that you plug into whichever machine
you're on could be useful, thus keeping only one large cache instead of
having to transfer it.

If you actively use scores a lot, you'll probably want to sync/transfer
that file too.

Other than that, you could start out by copying the whole directory if
you want, then change what you want and don't transfer the other files
back and forth any more after that.