pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan0.139 problems

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan0.139 problems
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:59:00 +0000 (UTC)

thufir posted on Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:40:36 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 06:32:10 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>>> The colors I use are due to eyesight problems as I cannot take black
>>> on white due to the high contrast.
>>
>> FWIW...
>>
>> Those colors aren't too far from mine.
>

> Are those colors set from Pan, or are those system settings?

A combination of both.  In-pane font-colors and their backgrounds are set
in pan.  The general widget colors and menu and toolbar font colors, plus
the body-pane titlebar (basically all the green text) are system settings.

One of the historic problems pan has had with font colors at various
times over the years as the code changed is that the hard-coded defaults
always seemed to assume a light background, while mine (and Bob's) are
obviously dark backgrounds, thus making reading difficult or impossible
since the text/background contrast was too low.  Rather than try to write
background color detection and font-color adjustment code, the
implemented fix was to make pretty much all of pan's formerly hard-coded
font colors into preferences. =:^)

Charles started the trend back before the C -> C++ rewrite, the rewrite
had initial problems which I complained about and that got fixed, and
then later Heinrich added further font color prefs and had to adjust his
code too, when dark-background folks like me complained.  When Heinrich
first added the custom group font color code, for instance, he added the
ability to set the color for specific groups, but the default if unset
was IIRC black, which obviously didn't show up so well on my dark
backgrounds, so while I could set the color for my regular groups, I
couldn't simply browse unsubscribed groups any more, as they were all
unreadable black text on dark blue!  So he had to add the "Other Text"
color preference section now found on the color tab in pan prefs.

That did solve the one problem as I could now set defaults for both text
and background color, but there remains another, less urgent bug.  The
default color prefs now override the body pane quoted text color prefs,
so everything there, multi-level quote and new content, shows up as the
same color. =:^(  But at least I can read it!

Meanwhile, might be of interest to some...  My "system colors" are
configured in kde, with its "apply color settings to non-kde4 apps"
option checked.

The kde4 color scheme in question was originally downloaded from kde-
look.org (which is integrated into kde via kde's "get hot new stuff" API)
where it can be found as darkblue-deb.  However, that was several years
ago and I've modified it a reasonable amount since.  But for interested
kde-ers, that's where I started.  If anyone wants it, I guess I could
upload my current version somewhere (probably kde-look), too.