pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Is there a "sent" folder for Pan 0.135 (for sending to m

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Is there a "sent" folder for Pan 0.135 (for sending to moderated newsgroups)?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:24:58 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice posted on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:55:42 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:50:23 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>
>> There is a "sent" folder once again in current pan
>
> Where is it found in Pan 0.139, Duncan?

Sorry, since I'm running pan from git, "current" to me refers to that, or
at least it did when I wrote that.  I tend to lose track of whether
something available in git-pan has actually appeared in a release or
not.  But quoting myself from the last paragraph of the message you
replied to, I did actually answer that question:

>> ... so yes, 0.135 in June 2011 and the send-folder feature in
>> Dec 2012, 0.135 is indeed too early.  0.139 appears to have been
>> Jun 2012, so even it would have missed the feature.  Apparently,
>> only the git version has it ATM.

Meanwhile, the feature was quite buggy when first introduced -- it
interfered with the "go to next (unread) group" functionality, for
instance.  One had to actually click the desired group with the mouse as
the go-to functionality would go to the sent/drafts folders (a drafts
folder being introduced at the same time) and wouldn't move from there to
any actual groups.

That bug was fixed, but the the feature still isn't working quiet right.
The drafts folder seems more broken than sent, but while sent messages do
appear in sent, for instance on pan restart, all messages in sent are
displayed as unread, even if they were marked read previously, so it's
still a bit buggy.  (I suspect that bug will be fixed by simply making
pan treat all sent messages as read, in that folder.  Perhaps drafts will
always appear as unread, thus reminding folks they still have unprocessed
drafts.)

A perhaps more severe bug (read/unread is simply appearance, after all)
is the fact that sent messages appear as not yet downloaded until pan is
restarted, and clicking them doesn't actually load them up, as one would
expect.  Once pan is restarted, messages from previous pan sessions
appear as downloaded and can be read normally, but I was initially quite
confused indeed, when some messages appeared as downloaded and readable,
but others were listed but not as downloadable, and couldn't be read!

So the feature remains quite new and buggy.  And Heinrich has been busy
enough he hasn't really gotten a chance to fix the bugs (tho the go-to-
group getting trapped in sent/drafts bug was particularly irritating and
at least that one was fixed).  So perhaps it's a good thing it's still
only in the git version.  I'm not sure if all the bugs will be fixed by
the time a new release is rolled or not, but while the current
implementation is better than no sent messages to refer to at all, having
to quit and restart pan in ordered to actually read them is indeed a
frustrating bug, and the unfinished feature wouldn't exactly give a good
impression of pan if it did appear in a release.  So were I doing the
releases (I'm not, that's Petr Kovar, Thanks, Petr! =:^) and I were to do
one now, I expect I'd either roll back the commits for that feature and
not include it in the release, or wait until it worked a bit better
before doing a release.

But the feature is there and (sort of) usable, even if still rather
buggy, in current git-pan, so I'd guess it'll be in 0.140 (unless it's
reverted due to those bugs for 0.140), whenever that's released. =:^)