pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] New Win32 build 0.140 + GIT

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] New Win32 build 0.140 + GIT
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 02:50:31 +0000 (UTC)

Bruce Bowler posted on Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:52:15 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:13:35 +0100, Steve Davies wrote:
>
>> PAN Win32 installer just got updated to 0.140 with all GIT patches as
>> of today 28/Sep/2013.
>>
>> For brand-new installs, there are some odd default background colours
>
> I've got 2 other 'color' problems.
>
> - quoted text isn't rendered in 'quoted text' colors, but rather just
> black.

Unfortunately that's what I've been seeing here on (Linux) git-pan as
well, so it's not an MS thing.  The "other text" colors seem to be
overriding the quoted text colors, and everything (but URLs, and headers
when they're toggled to show) in the body has been in the same "other"
color for some time (since sometime last year, AFAIK, I /think/ shortly
after 0.139 release).

Obviously a bug, but I said something about it back then and I guess
Heinrich missed it -- well either that or I think it /was/ was about the
time he got busy and didn't do a whole lot more.  But even if he caught
it then and simply didn't have time to chase it down back then, I didn't
file it as a bug and he probably long forgot about it by now.

I had thought I'd try bisecting it to the problem commit, and see if
given the changed code as a hint, I could pick up what was wrong, and
what was different between quote colors and URL colors, which DO apply,
but I never got to it.

So it's good to bring back up now.  Perhaps Heinrich or someone else who
can actually code can see what's wrong and create a patch.  I'd guess
it'd be applied pretty fast once someone had a patch.

> - If one makes any changes to the preferences in 'edit selected groups
> preferences' the 'group color' is, by default, white, which is the color
> the group name is rendered in.  That doesn't show up very well on the
> white background.  Is it possible to get the default group color to be
> black?

I didn't notice that as I prefer a "reverse" color scheme, light text on
dark backgrounds, but when the colored-groups feature first went in, I
remember having problems with it due to my "reverse" scheme and the fact
that all unset-color groups were defaulting to dark text... on my dark
background!

AFAIK that's actually why he put in the "other text" setting, so a user
could set a reasonable (for them) foreground and background color
regardless of whether they preferred a "normal" dark-on-light scheme, or
a "reverse" light-on-dark scheme as I do.

Except when he did that, it had the effect of overruling the body pane's
quoted text color, but unlike the dark text on dark background groups
that I was dealing with before, I could at least read that, so that's why
I didn't press it when Heinrich didn't immediately get to my mention that
it killed the quoted text colors.