pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] pan could not compiled with Xcode 5

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] pan could not compiled with Xcode 5
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 01:21:17 +0000 (UTC)

FritzS - gmx posted on Fri, 07 Mar 2014 19:00:10 +0100 as excerpted:

> Hi,
> I use Mavericks 10.9.2, Xcode 5 and Homebrew.
>
> I could not compile pan.
>
> jacknagel tells me:
>> Issues with clang 5/libc++. It compiles against libstdc++, but since
>> all of its dependencies are built against libc++, that's a non-starter.
>>
>> Upstream will have to address this if they want to maintain
>> compatibility with OS X.
>
> Please look for more information:
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/24171

I do freedomware only (Gentoo Linux FWIW), no servantware as I couldn't
agree to the license even if I wished to install it, so no MSWindows and
no Apple OSX for me.  And while I have LLVM installed for my Radeon
(OpenGL shader compilers), my system is built against glibc using gcc (so
libstdc++), so I can't help directly there, either...

But... that link doesn't show the actual code errors, only the error
summary.  The actual code errors will be in the code above the "10
errors" bit that you post.  What I usually do in such cases is search the
output for "error" and skip past any error_handing.cpp or similar hits,
to find the real code errors, generally with filename and line numbers as
well as the errors emitted, so the actual code at that location can be
examined.

Once those errors are found and reported, someone knowing C++ (I don't
claim to) can usually figure out what the problem is, and develop an
appropriate patch.  However, that isn't so easy to do without the actual
errors.

Based upon the description, however, that it builds against libstdc++ but
not against libc++, the problem is very likely a library included in the
former that ships separately for the latter, which would mean
specifically linking against that additional library as well, in ordered
to use its symbols.  If that's the case it should be a reasonably easy
fix for someone who knows what they are doing and is familiar with the
differences in the two libraries, but they need the actual build errors
in ordered to know what's missing that needs included.