pan-users

[Pan-users] Attn Andrew, Steve - report on your versions of 0.140

From: Dick Baker
Subject: [Pan-users] Attn Andrew, Steve - report on your versions of 0.140
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 16:56:10 -0800

Gentlemen,

As you'll recall, I first reported that I was unable to post binaries successfully in 0.139, the .msi version that I installed a few weeks ago. The files seemed to go out, and *look* complete in a header listing, but downloading them results only in a series of 1K error files (this is true for downloading both in Pan and my trusty old Xnews).

Andrew then sent his own version of 0.140 (build date 20141024) in a zip file that I extracted and ran from my D: drive so it wouldn't disturb the existing 0.139 installation; including a batch file to copy the profile files from 0.139 into the one he selected. His 0.140 came up looking just like the existing 0.139, but binary uploading worked fine. About the time I was reporting that, Steve announced that he'd completed a win32 install of 0.140 "with all GIT patches as of today 10/Nov/2014."

So I just installed Steve's 0.140 right over the existing 0.139, which now reports that it's "Chocolate Salty Balls (Unknown; i686-pc-mingw32)."

But NO LUCK. If you'll look in alt.binaries.test for the string of tests beginning with "Baker test..." [on Nov. 11]* you'll see that I uploaded the same batch of files in the new Niles version and Steve's updated win32 install version, and the results are the same: The files uploaded with the Win32/.msi install still are corrupt--when downloaded, they come out as dozens of 1K error files.

I can't imagine that the problem is in the various profiles and preferences settings, because Andrew's installation simply copied those files over from the existing 0.139 installation.

Thinking that my having installed the new win32 0.140 right over the existing 0.139 might have buggered things up, I uninstalled the program completely and started over with a fresh install of the win32/.msi 0.140, but the result was the same.

Then I had another brainstorm: Could there be a difference between XP and Win7 in how the win32 installs work? I had installed the win32/.msi 0.139 update on my XP computer right before moving out of it to my new Win7 one, so I fired the old one up and tried uploading binaries in 0.139 in XP. Nope, same failure. Then I updated the 0.139 to Steve's new 0.140 on the XP and tried again: same failure.

It would certainly appear that *something* is keeping the win32/.msi installed program from uploading binaries, something that's not happening to Andrew's zipped version.

(*If you did look in alt.binaries.test, you'd have seen two different versions of each upload, one with "Thread Attached Replies" selected, one without. For some reason, I was sure I'd tried it both ways with the same results in my first round of tests with Andrew's build, but obviously I was mistaken. They behave as advertised. But for what it's worth, I vastly prefer the way Xnews handles the same chore, which you'll also see. The "base message" with the chosen subject line but no attachments appears first--a very handy place to write a note telling potential downloaders what you're posting--then all the attachments follow at the same top level with the same subject line.)