pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Sending attachments

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Sending attachments
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 06:29:54 +0000 (UTC)

Camaleón posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2015 15:36:51 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hint: Using Mutt (with a patch) and Thunderbird as default newsreaders
> are also another option but I prefer to keep things separate: MUA for
> standard/work/home e-mails and Pan for mailing list posts.

Same here, tho using different clients (but for pan).

* I use pan for the lists via gmane, and thus keep them out of my
mailbox. (And I use pan-attach-kd to post attachments to the lists when
necessary, thus avoiding both sending "mail client unreadable gibberish"
to the lists, and having to do the mail client thing or having to use
some other base64/uue attaching news client alternative, to avoid the
gibberish alternative.)

* Actually, I have a total of three separate pan instances setup (set the
PAN_HOME var to different values for each instance, to keep them
separate).  One for my text groups, mostly gmane lists these days.  One
for binaries, which I don't use very often, but I bought a full 1000 GiB
block from astraweb a couple years ago ($50, IIRC), and do download a few
binaries on it occasionally (tho at my current usage rate, that single
block purchase may well be a lifetime account... which is actually why I
bought that big a block, so if I didn't suddenly change and start
downloading a whole bunch, it'd last me the rest of my life or close to
it).  And one for testing, so I don't mess up the nice subscription lists
and tracking of my other two instances when I'm just screwing around, or
when I'm checking pan behavior on a specific post someone mentions here,
in some group I'm not subscribed to, for instance.

* I use (the also gtk-based) claws-mail for my email.  (It /can/ do news
too, but being single-threaded for news is a significant limitation
that's just not worth it for me.)

Claws-mail is gui/gtk based, but does mh-format mail dirs (also an option
with mutt, as it happens) and has hooks in the gui that make scriptable
extensions much easier than most guis.  The ability to run these
extensions is a primary feature, so unlike some gui clients (like my
previous one, kmail), they're unlikely to do crazy things with databases
or otherwise break ordinary mail handling as well as all their users'
extension scripts.

In this way, while it is gui-based, it's extremely script friendly, much
like mutt, tho mutt is of course CLI based.

* I also use claws-mail as my (rss and atom) feed reader.  There's a
plugin for this that makes it very easy, and being claws, my feed reader
is now as extremely user script extensible as claws itself is. =:^)

However, because I strongly prefer to keep my mail and feeds separate, I
actually run a second claws-mail instance, pointed at a different homedir
and tmpdir so it doesn't interfere with the first one running for mail,
and with a different icon theme so I can tell which is which in the tray,
for instance, as my feed reader.

Setting up two separate instances that way isn't terribly difficult, but
the default is definitely to run both feeds and mail (and news if I were
to use claws for news too, another reason not to) in the same unified
client, so I don't expect that a lot of people actually have the separate
client setup I do.

The point being, I definitely appreciate your preference for keeping
things separate, so much so that I went out of my way to setup both
multiple claws-mail instances to deal with mail and feeds separately, and
multiple pan instances to deal with text and binaries and tests
separately.

IOW, you definitely have my support on the separate clients thing! =:^)