pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Build fail during configure FreeBSD 9.3

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Build fail during configure FreeBSD 9.3
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:35:26 +0100

On Saturday 23 April 2016 05:17:13 Duncan wrote:
> So back to the original subject, if you're only rebuilding pan to get the
> GUI to do more connections, perhaps with the connections-per-server
> manual config information, you won't find that necessary any longer.  And
> if you didn't know that, then it's likely you were unaware of some of the
> other manual editing possibilities and possible you'll find them useful
> as well. =:^)

I appreciate the comprehensive post including the workarounds to the thread
limits and the other topics you covered but I was already aware of most of
it, including alternative ways of setting more than the hard-coded 4 threads
per server.  The "problem" is that they are just workarounds and non-
permanent ones at that.  Still, it's useful to "refresh" the archives with
relevant and useful info every now and then :-)

I have three news servers configured, My ISP which allows up to 20 threads,
a pay server which allows up to 30 threads and a free text-only server which
allows up to 4 threads (one is enough, maybe 2 for text anyway).  In the
past, the ISP one could saturate my 100Mb/s connection quite nicely with
just 4 threads running but things have changed and it now takes at least 10.

The reason I want to still build from source in this specific case is if I
install the binary package and find it has the same unfulfilled zlib
dependency then I'm stuffed.  Downgrading would be a lot more hassle than
just not upgrading in the first place.  So, the question really is did the
person porting the Linux source into a FreeBSD port/pkg test on FreeBSD 9
or just on 10?  Zlib us in the FreeBSD 9.x base system so there;s nothing
to install but the file zlib.pc doesn't exist and that seems to be
something the installer *requires* to confirm that zlib is there.