pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] size of newsrc-1 file

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] size of newsrc-1 file
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 17:08:20 +0000 (UTC)

Heinz Mezera posted on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 11:09:26 +0200 as excerpted:

> a detailed answer as ususal!
>
> Forgive me if I do not follow standard answering methods and summerize
> here:
>
> Pan takes approx. 10 minutes to start,
> ls -lh newsrc-1 --> 567M (a manual edit would be an enormous task and
> I've _never_ done any scripting before)
> renamed article-cache directory and reduced cache size to 10 MB (from
> 100)
> only one news server less than a dozen groups subscribed (a few text,
> others binaries)
> my working style: read new headers, decide which ones might be of
> interest and save them to disk; I never go back to yesterdays or older
> articles I don't use scores (or I'm not aware off)
>
> Should I remove/rename .pan2 directory and start from scratch?

Well, what the newsrc tracks is read articles.  If you rename or remove
it, you'll get all articles on the server as unread, which might be a bit
of an issue, but you'll still do far better than starting from scratch
and having to reconfigure everything.