pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan doesn't usually minimize to system tray

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan doesn't usually minimize to system tray
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:19:42 +0000 (UTC)

David Melik posted on Sat, 23 Sep 2017 09:33:12 +0000 as excerpted:

> Pan doesn't usually minimize to system tray.  Minimizing it *never*
> disappears it from the taskbar/panel.  I have to select the system tray
> icon instead, and that only minimizes it maybe 5% to 10% of tries.

Pan's systray behavior has always frustrated me a bit, as it has never
seemed to be ideal, but I've learned to work around it.  FWIW, I'd prefer
the behavior to be that of claws-mail, the other major gtk2-based app I
keep running in the tray.

But I can explain the inconsistency you're seeing, and my workarounds.

1) For apps that run from the tray, there's a distinction between closing
a window, closing the app entirely, and simply minimizing a window.

1a) In my expectation, minimizing (to the taskbar) a window should do
just that, it should still be in the taskbar and alt-tab sequence,
because it's minimized to the taskbar, not actually closed.  For me, this
works as expected for both pan and claws.

1b) In my expectation, closing a window should do just that.  For the
main window of non-tray apps, this will commonly close the application as
well, but tray apps should remain running... without the window and in
the tray only, the closed window should no longer appear in the taskbar
or alt-tab sequence.  For me, this too works for both pan and claws.

1c) Tray apps normally have a separate "quit" action that quits the
entire app, removing it from the tray as well.  After this the app should
no longer be running at all.  Again, this works for me with both pan and
claws.

2) Tray apps should also respond from the tray icon.  With a few
exceptions where interacting with the tray icon opens a smaller "popup"
interface, simply (primary-button) clicking the tray icon should toggle
the main window, opening it if it was closed, closing it if it was open.
This is where pan's behavior differs from the expected.

2a) If pan's main window is closed (as opposed to minimized to the
taskbar), clicking the tray icon reliably opens it, as expected.

2b) Unfortunately, if pan's main window is open, clicking the tray icon
does not reliably close it, so the tray-toggle action is incomplete, the
main window can be reliably opened from the tray, but not reliably
closed.  More on this behavior in point #3, below.

2c) If pan's main window is simply minimized to the taskbar (as opposed
to closed), clicking the tray icon should show it again, just as alt-
tabbing to it or clicking the taskbar entry should.  This takes care of
the case where a user doesn't see the main window and doesn't remember
whether they closed it or minimized it, so they don't have to check the
taskbar or alt-tab to see if pan is listed there, simply click the tray
icon.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work either.

2d) Optionally, a tray app may have a (configurable to avoid clashes)
hotkey that behaves just as clicking the tray icon does, showing the main
window if it is minimized or closed, closing it (as opposed to minimizing
or quitting the app) to the tray if it's open.  This exposes the app's
tray functionality to those who couldn't otherwise use it, as well as
being a convenience feature when the keyboard's easier to use than the
mouse.  Pan is missing this optional feature as well (but claws, by
comparison, has it), but it /is/ optional, not entirely expected, and
given that pan's tray behavior is partially broken anyway, this wouldn't
be so useful anyway.

3) For pan's irregular behavior closing the main pan window via tray icon
when the window is open, the explanation is simple.  It depends on
whether that window is active (has focus) or not.  If pan's main window
has focus, clicking the tray icon will close it.  If another window has
focus, unfortunately, clicking the tray icon does nothing.

This should explain your 5-10% reliability factor.  Very likely, pan's
active when it works, some other window is active when it doesn't.

4) As for my workaround, I've simply learned to use the window-
decoration's close icon to close the main pan window when I want it
closed, instead of trying to use the tray icon.  I only use the tray icon
to open it back up.  (Alternatively, I can minimize the window and use
alt-tab or the window list to get back to it; I don't run with a
conventional taskbar here as I find alt-tabbing or other alternatives
sufficient, and can save the space or popup hassle the taskbar would
otherwise take.)

It's still a bit irritating to me, but after years of working with pan
this way it's a minor irritation.  Were some coder to actually fix it,
however, I'd of course still be delighted!  Were they to fix it *AND*
provide that configurable global hotkey tray-toggle-trigger, I'd be even
*MORE* delighted, to the "walking on air" for several days level! =:^)

(As a minor note, back when I was running my dual or triple 42-inch full-
hd monitors, 1920x1080 each, I had a kwin window rule set to hide the
window decoration for claws, giving me more room in the window itself,
since I could reliably open and close it from the tray icon or with the
hotkey.  I wanted to do the same with pan, but couldn't, because the tray
icon didn't allow me to reliably close the window and I had to use the
windeco button for that.  Since then I've upgraded to a 65-inch 4k
monitor primary, still with a 48-inch full-hd secondary for playing full-
screen video on while I work on the big one, and I use a windeco that's a
bit smaller now, so I put the windeco back on the claws main window.  But
it'd still be nice to have the /option/ of running pan windeco-less,
which having reliable tray-icon main-window toggle functionality would
give me.)