pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Runtime error when posting messages--found my own answer

From: Dick Baker
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Runtime error when posting messages--found my own answer
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:45:19 -0800

At 07:22 AM 1/17/2018, I wrote:
For the past two days, every time I try to post a message to a newsgroup, Pan responds with this error message:

        Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
        This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it
        in an unusual way.  Please contact the application's
        support team for more information.

When I click OK in that window to clear it, Pan crashes entirely.

Am using 0.140, Chocolate Salty Balls for several years now without problems, but suddenly this. Anybody have any idea what could be going on?

Aha! My primary news service, GigaNews, wrongfully terminated my upload rights claiming I posted copyright material. I presumed that would be for posting binaries only, but it turned out that GigaNews even blocked simple text posts. When I fired up my old newsreader, Xnews, for testing, I figured out that GigaNews was sending a clear error message, but Pan doesn't understand that and just blows up.

So I reset Pan to make my other news service, Astraweb, my primary, but the same posting problem was there too, making me think that Pan was broken.

BUT I just poked around some more in Pan settings and realized that I must not only switch news servers in Edit News Servers for downloading files, but must also edit my Posting profile separately to tell it to post via Astraweb. Until then, I was receiving news feeds from Astraweb but still trying to post via GigaNews. Resetting the posting profile target cured the problem.

But one still might ask why an error message from a news server causes Pan to blow up with an error message pointing in a different direction entirely.