pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how

From: Zan Lynx
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] can you run Pan 2 on anything but GNOME/Linux? (and how to donate?)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 14:06:57 -0600

On 9/1/2020 1:55 PM, Detlef Graef wrote:
I think you don't need to post it here.

It's likely a backtrace from GNU debugger ist needed to get more details
of the segfault. But as already mentioned, there are no active
developers at the moment.

If you can download the debug package for your distro, or even download the Pan source and build it for yourself and then get the crash backtrace, I volunteer to take a look at it.

I've fixed a couple of Pan crashes for myself so I am somewhat familiar.

Run your pan in a terminal window with "gdb pan"
Once it crashes you should be at a gdb prompt that looks like "(gdb)", then type "info local" and then type "thread apply all bt" and put the results here or in a link like you did before.

"bt" is a shortcut for "backtrace" and what it does it display all of the function calls that lead to the current program execution. "thread apply all" applies the next command to every thread in the program. So it makes a backtrace report for each thread.

"info local" is often not useful because of optimization, but it tries to display the values of each variable at the current program location.
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil