pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] choosing right servers and removing inaccessible groups?

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] choosing right servers and removing inaccessible groups? (was: debugging? (segmentation fault))
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:46:20 -0000 (UTC)

David Chmelik posted on Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:30:34 -0800 as excerpted:

> I read/post on Eternal September (or alternative AIOE,) Gmane, but
> almost every time I try to post on Gmane, it says the group isn't on
> that server because it defaults to Eternal September.
> So, there really needs to be a new feature that Pan saves the
> information, for each group, of which server you joined it on.
> I was also unable to reply in Pan because, even after a changed to
> Gmane in 'From' it still said Gmane doesn't have this newsgroup anymore
> (said same about all Gmane groups I tried recently.)

First, have you refreshed your group list recently?  Try refresh group
list (under the group menu).  See if that allows pan to see the group on
that server.

Meanwhile, from the above you seem to have gotten at least part of the
following but maybe missed something so it's worth going back through the
steps to verify.  In pan, server posted to is part of the posting profile,
which is set for individual groups in group preferences.  So to post to a
different server, if necessary, first create a new posting profile with
the appropriate server chosen, then edit the group preferences and point
it at the appropriate default profile.  Of course for an individual post
you can then choose a posting profile (and thus posting server) other than
the default for that group, if you like.

If pan's still saying the group isn't on your server of choice after both
the group-refresh and double-checking the posting profile setup it's
possible you may have to edit something manually, but we can deal with
that if we get to it.