pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] no title, author fields

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] no title, author fields
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 03:39:16 -0000 (UTC)

David Chmelik posted on Sat, 5 Mar 2022 02:06:58 -0800 as excerpted:

> On 3/5/22 1:55 AM, Dominique Dumont wrote:
>> On Saturday, 5 March 2022 10:20:03 CET David Chmelik wrote:
>>> [a screenshot]
>> Looks like the Date column is too wide. Please drag the left of the
>> 'Date'
>> widget to the right so the other columns are visible.
> I know but already explained (in simple terms) there wasn't always
> something to drag: sometimes there is; sometimes not.

That looks like a bug that would sometimes (repeatedly over years) trigger
for me in pan built against gtk2 (I've not seen it with recent pan built
against gtk3).

Basically, there was apparently a race condition where in some
circumstances (usually after an upgrade, pan or gtk2, here) pan would fail
to find some of its resources before it needed them for the header pane --
I believe the icons for state and action header columns -- and would zero
out the width for those and all columns to the right of them except the
last column, which would then get the full width.

Making the problem *much* worse, of course, is that the icon columns are
normally at the left, so *ALL* columns are affected.

The GUI fix: The dividers for all the columns should be piled up on top of
each other altho you'll likely have to hover your pointer at the edge and
try to get the double-headed arrow to find them as they'll be hidden, and
you should be able drag them one at a time, but that gets old fast if it
triggers more than once for you (again, it tended to trigger on upgrades
here, which given that I'm building live-git pan, could be fairly
frequently).

A somewhat easier way to fix the problem, *provided* you're comfortable
with a text editor, is to find your pan data dir (usually ~/.pan or
possibly ~/.pan2, unless you've set the PAN_HOME environmental var to
change it) and (with pan not running) edit preferences.xml within it.  In
the int section (or search for "column-width") find all the column widths
that are zeroed out and set some other value.  Typically the action and
state columns will have a width of 32 (the icon size I think), the others
somewhat wider -- my widest is the subject column with a width of 885, but
those will of course depend on how wide you've made those columns.

Once you've set some reasonable approximate widths and saved the file, you
can start pan and should be able to see the columns and fine tune the
sizes by drag from there.

After quitting pan to save the new sizes it may be useful to save a copy
of preferences.xml so you will have one to copy back over in case the
problem happens again, altho of course you'll lose other changes made that
are saved in that file if you ever need to restore it.  An alternative to
restoring the entire file, therefore, would be to simply delete the bad
lines from the working copy and only copy the lines with the good values
from the backup.

IIRC a partial preventative was putting any icon-only columns last (to the
right), in my case state and action since I had both columns displayed, so
they'll be the only ones affected.  Then there's only the one or two
columns to worry about instead of all but one.

But I wanted the icon columns on the left, so that didn't work for me,
resulting in the following solution recommended only for advanced users
comfortable with scripting and creating/applying patches:  I created
several patch files, one per target line of preferences.xml, with zero
context.  They'll only apply if the value is zero, with the desired value
replacing the zero value.  I already had a pan launcher wrapper script so
it was a relatively simple matter to add a few lines to it to add a few
lines to dry-run-patch and if that worked, apply the patch, for every
patch in the patches dir.  With that done, any time I saw pan startup with
only one header-pane column, I'd quit pan, which would write those
defective zero-widths to preferences.xml, and immediately restart so the
patches would do their thing and I'd have my columns back without having
to do it manually. =:^)

But as I said, gtk3 pan doesn't seem to have that bug (tho it does bring
its own, including for me the crashing bug I mentioned in the 0.150
announce subthread).