pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] copy/paste from cat/more to Pan post format errors

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] copy/paste from cat/more to Pan post format errors
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:18:45 -0000 (UTC)

David Chmelik posted on Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:46:51 -0000 (UTC) as
excerpted:

> I don't know if the problem was something in copying & pasting (shell to
> XFCE clipboard did) or Pan, but each section's first line's newline was
> removed, and some sections had several newlines removed.

Not sure about xfce, but on kde, the clipboard manager app (klipper) can
be configured to remove prefix/postfix whitespace, which is what I want
most of the time so I have it enabled (easy enough to add some whitespace
back if necessary).  It doesn't, however, remove whitespace in the middle.

It sounds like that might be the sort of thing you're describing, tho in
the kde case at least it doesn't remove the whitespace for direct
clipboard usage, only when a triggered action (like triggering a menu with
the kde and I've added gentoo too bugzilla searches, for strings
consisting only of several digits, or retrieving older entries from the
clipboard history).  As long as you just put something in the clipboard
and use it without forcing it into history or triggering an action, it
doesn't trim the whitespace.