pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Moving between panes ...

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Moving between panes ...
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:02:45 -0000 (UTC)

Kinji Kameda via Pan-users posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:43:11 +0300
(EEST) as excerpted:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2022, Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Sep 2022 20:08:18 +0300 (EEST), Kinji Kameda via Pan-users
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason I haven't been able to figure out how do I move
>>> between panes from keyboard.
>>>
>>> Is there any default keybindings not mentioned anywhere?
>>
>> Running 0.151 here, and tab moves between all three panes.  When it's
>> on the message pane, the headers are highlighted, but the up/down keys
>> scroll messages that are longer than the window.
>
> Oh. Same version here ... and now that I have tested this a bit more I
> do see that TAB does move between panes, but behaviour is rather
> peculiar (at least for me) ... When moving from the headers down to the
> body pane headers information gets highlighted, Subject-From-etc., and I
> have to press down key three times before the content of the article
> scroll down. PgDwn doesn't do anything, which was why I thought it
> doesn't move to the body pane. Before I have scrolled with down key that
> is.
>
> Also I have to press several times up or down in the groups pane to get
> the highlighting to move.
>
> So yes. TAB does move between the panes but the behaviour is weird, at
> least for me.
>
> Any way to do keybindings that will straigh focus on the content of the
> body and headers and group, so I can just press them to move around?

With the switch to gtk3 still fairly recent and even more so actually
having it reasonably stable, I suspect there's some things like tabbing-
order, default keybindings, the old-style always-visible main menu,
general accessibility, etc, that remain candidates for change.

Meanwhile, if you decide to edit keybindings, the possibilities and
default bindings can be found in accels.txt.  The listing is unsorted (or
more precisely, sorted by pan access order or something, so it appears
random) and will go unsorted again when saved, so you have to either use
your editor's search capacity or do what I do and keep a sorted copy
(which I can post if desired, note that it'll have my somewhat heavy
customizations) around to mess with when you want, then save a copy over
the one pan re-scrambles.

An initial semicolon indicates a comment and all the default entries are
commented, so to change something, just uncomment it and set the accel you
want.

There's also the more modern and less jumbled pan.hotkeys, which
corresponds to the hotkeys tab in preferences, but last I checked I
couldn't find some of the entries there that I had customized in
accels.txt, and accels.txt does appear to still work, so I use it.

Of course there's those like me who have long muscle-memories and heavy
hotkey customizations that will at least want to have pan still honor them
if the defaults change...

Meanwhile, I suppose most users (including me) now use a mouse with a
scrollwheel, and may even use that for focus and scrolling even when often
more comfortable using the keyboard.  So testing and bug reports on the
keyboard navigation, like yours, are useful.   No promises and I'm not a
dev and definitely not the one making decisions, but three down keys
before a page-down will work does seem a bit much, and I'd guess widget-
focus priority/ordering is something that can be looked at.

Finally, the tabbed layout may or may not fit your style (and I don't tend
to use it, but am aware of it), but it's worth a try if you haven't
discovered and tried it yet...  It may work better for you as that /does/
have concrete pane-as-tab changing functionality.  The entries are under
view/layout.  (It's also worth a try for those on low-resolution displays;
kind of the opposite of my dual 75-inch 4K monitors, probably the reason I
don't tend to use it.  But for those who have trouble fitting all the
panes in the room they have for pan I imagine it could be a god-sent.)