parallel

Re: STOP/CONT parallel

From: Bruno Lucas
Subject: Re: STOP/CONT parallel
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 13:29:48 +0200

I also use CTRL-Z by hand, but I would like to do it in another script (to halt the processing under certain conditions).

So far what I've done was to use command that parses pstree output and send kill -s SIGSTOP to all the pids I get (and SIGCONT) to continue. I tried sending SIGTSTP but it doesn’t seem to have the desired effect.

I've got the pstree bit from here http://stackoverflow.com/a/24999637/1770719

BL

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Ole Tange <ole@tange.dk> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Bruno Lucas <brunolucas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've start using parallel not so long ago and I must say it does a wonderful
> job, thank you.

Great to hear. If you like GNU Parallel:

* Give a demo at your local user group/team/colleagues
* Post the intro videos on Reddit/Diaspora*/forums/blogs/
Identi.ca/Google+/Twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/mailing lists
* Get the merchandise https://www.gnu.org/s/parallel/merchandise.html
* Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution (if it is
not already there)
* Invite me for your next conference

If you use GNU Parallel for research:

* Please cite GNU Parallel in you publications (use --bibtex)

If GNU Parallel saves you money:

* (Have your company) donate to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/

> My doubt is regarding the handling of parallel for the STOP signal.
> Is there a way to send a signal (STOP?) to parallel to stop/freeze the
> current execution and then resume it after with the CONT signal for
> instance?

I use CTRL-Z all the time. It sends TSTP (not STOP).

/Ole

--
:-)
Bruno Lucas