parallel

How to make git colorise output with parallel?

From: Gabriel Ostrolucky
Subject: How to make git colorise output with parallel?
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2020 02:13:19 +0000

Hello,

I’m new to parallel and am currently evaluating it with xargs. I’m currently doing git pull in all subfolders. Via xargs, this works nicely and changes (additions, removals) are shown with colours:

fd '.git$' --hidden -t d|xargs -P 12 -I curr git -C curr/.. pull

But not so with parallel, it removes all colours and git doesn’t have CLI argument to force the colours:

fd '.git$' --hidden -t d|parallel git -C {//} pull

Why does this happen, and what can I do to preserve the git colours?

Thanks for help