parallel

better results dirs?

From: Daniel LaFlamme
Subject: better results dirs?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:22:55 -0400

I have a workflow where I have a bunch of shell commands in a file, like:

v.1.sh:

java -cp /path/to/some.jar com.package.class <args1>
java -cp /path/to/some.jar com.package.class <args2>
java -cp /path/to/some.jar com.package.class <argsN>

and I run all of those with parallel with something like:

parallel --joblog v.1.log --results v.1 :::: v.1.sh

and this puts each invocation in a separate subdirectory called v.1/1/cmdline

where cmdline appears to be the full command line. The problem is that these command lines and args can get pretty long, and the subdirectories of v.1/1 are hard to navigate. Is there a way to change the behavior of how those subdirectories are named? Either a sequential number is fine, or something else?