parallel

Re: Parallel Question Issue

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: Parallel Question Issue
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 22:13:11 +0100

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 11:22 PM Hogue, Robert (Nokia - CA/Ottawa)
<robert.hogue@nokia.com> wrote:

> I am running the below parallel when I run it again 500 targets in this case
> commands that ssh to host and grabs information.
>
> I runs fine.
>
> parallel --timeout 800% --tag linux_boxes_ssh :::: "$passwords"
> "$file_with_targets"
>
> If I run it against 10,000 targets a lot of them do not right the results to
> the log file.

Where is the log file mentioned? If it is part of linux_boxes_ssh then
that explains the missing lines: You are writing to the same file in
parallel.

Instead you should write to stdout (standard output) and do:

    parallel --timeout 800% --tag linux_boxes_ssh :::: "$passwords"
"$file_with_targets" > my.log

> What can I set to make sure it still runs and I need a timeout just in case
> one of the jobs gets stuck I need it to time out.

--timeout 800% is a good idea. If you add --retries 10, then it will
try 10 times if it fails.

/Ole