parallel

Re: file permissions on joblog

From: Christian Meesters
Subject: Re: file permissions on joblog
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 08:44:49 +0200

Hi,

not quite. Under SLURM the jobstep starter (SLURM lingo) is "srun". You do not do ssh from job host to job host, but rather use "parallel" as a semaphore avoiding over subscription of job steps with "srun". I summarized this approach here:

https://mogonwiki.zdv.uni-mainz.de/dokuwiki/start:working_on_mogon:workflow_organization:node_local_scheduling#running_on_several_hosts (uh-oh - I need to clean up that site, many outdated sections there, but this one should still be ok)

One advantage: you can safely utilize the resources of both (or more) hosts - the master hosts and all secondaries. How much resources you require depends on your application and the work it does. Be sure to consider I/O (e.g. stage-in file to avoid random I/O with too many concurrent applications, etc.), if this is an issue for your application.

Cheers

Christian