[Phpgroupware-users] dynamic ip/internet dilemma

From: George D . Plymale
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] dynamic ip/internet dilemma
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:41:05 -0500

I've got a problem trying to figure out how to set up phpgroupware on my LAN
and at the same time offering service to some of my other users.  I have a
LAN that needs to access phpgroupware, we will call localnet.lan which is
running phpgroupware from www.localnet.lan.  I can access my imap server and
login, etc. etc. just fine when working from the lan.  But I also have a
dynamic connection to the Internet that is updated everytime a connection is
reestablished, so users can enter my WWW server and LAN by name, we'll say,
identity.homeip.net.  So when a user on the Internet browses to
identity.homeip.net the http port is redirected to www.localnet.lan and
voila, they have my site.  However, this presents a problem with
phpgroupware.  When I try to access my phpgroupware system, it cannot be
found because my server resolves the domain name with my local DNS server and
therefore is unable to redirect from index.php->login.php (it appears)
because it gives me a local name error from the remote client.  First it
connects fine to identity.homeip.net/phpgroupware/index.php, but  then when
redirecting it tries to go to www.localnet.lan:80 which is a problem in that
this name cannot be resolved from the outside world.

I have tried to set up two different phpgroupware directories to resolve
this: remotephpgroupware & localphpgroupware, however when I alter
remotephpgroupware to insert my dynamic universal name: identity.homeip.net,
I cannot access locally, nor does the remote access seem to work correctly,
in that they want to share the same mysql database, which will cause
conflicts due to each dir wanting different configs, but yet I need to share
data to make this function as it is made to.

How can I set up phpgroupware to handle this situation, or is it impossible
to do so as it is currently designed?

Thanks so much for any help!