[Phpgroupware-users] LDAP Nightmare

From: Mark Hanze
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] LDAP Nightmare
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:39:43 -0400

I can't believe how difficult it is to set up LDAP. Way too many versions of LDAP, encryption, OS capabilities and software capabilities (i.e. SuSE, Redhat... yeah and even Winduhs, phpgw, email, help desk and on and on and on).

As I try to implement LDAP and phpgw for a school district, I find myself more and more frustrated. I'm not a developer, I'm on the front line dealing with and supporting the end users from 6 am to 6 pm. As an administrator, a pretty good one at that, it's tough to know that these services are the key to simplify network administration but they don't come together without it kicking our ass.

This particular school was an all windows and AS/400 shop. I introduced Linux DHCP and DNS a year ago and it cured a hell of a lot problems that the winduhs servers were throwing up on. Now their Exchange server died and guess what, Linux to the rescue again (SuSE Email Server) while this school failed their budget and no money to replace exchange with the current version. But without LDAP and global address books, i fear when they manage to pass a budget, they will revert back to exchange.

I understand this is open source and free and it is what it is without warranty but if there is anyone out there with a working LDAP schema and Redhat please, please let me know and help keep one more enterprise on the road to recovery from winduhs :)

Thanks