Re: [Phpgroupware-users] users & groups

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] users & groups
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:34:07 +1000

Marco Gaiarin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mandi! Dave Hall
>  In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Do you have any patches we could include?  I also want LDAP to
> work a
> > little better in 16.
>
> ...no, sorry, i'm a very little PHP programmer, the complexity of
> phpgware too for my time... but i've clear that these 2 things have
> to be
> done, at least:

No problem.  Ideas are as important as the code that results from them.
  I am no ldap guru myself.  Can you please log these as seperate
feature requests on savannah ...
https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/phpgroupware under support.

I will look into it, but can't make any promises.   I have made some
comments here.

> 1) separate the numberspace of group from the numberspace of user, so
> as in normal unix world could exist an use with uid=1001 and a group
> with gid=1001.

This makes sense

> 2) use the standard LDAP membership (via memberUid field in group) to
> track membership, not the acl method

Our ACL system supports more than just group memberships, but I
understand the need for this when using phpgw group memberships as part
of a wider ldap-auth system.

> 2b) add a concept of ``default/main group'' for a user.

This would also need to be replicated in the SQL accounts model, which I
think is possible.  It would require some ui changes, and need some
discussion, I think this is unlikely to be included in 16.  Still worth
asking for it.

> these are well known unix concept, i think there's no need to explain.
> Think as storing the phpgw user in /etc/(passwd|group) files, there's
> no big differences. ;)

Sure, I understand where you are coming from.  Unfortunately that we
can't make major changes only days before a release and ensure it is all
tested properly.

I think all of these could be incorporated into the HEAD branch.

Cheers

Dave