Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Crystal Reports in phpgw (OT ?)

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Crystal Reports in phpgw (OT ?)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:08:46 +0000

what about using pdfs?

using CR you're probably going to have to make your own queries to the database
unless it supports XML-RPC/SOAP, then you could make the functions in a phpgw
class
to get the data from the phpgw app's SO objects.

OT, and completely up to you... but I've used several reporting engines and CR
is by
far the most evil and mostly unessicarily complex out there.  Yes, there are
some
things only it can do, but for 95% of reporting in the world it's way to
complex and
the slightest flinch outside their own poorly documented "way" causes the most
painfull kind of headaches.  I've developed quite the hate for that bit of
software
and the lack of support the company provides.  We have one package here that
uses it
and it's so painfull to customize that I've instead figured out it's dataset and
made reports in the software of my choice so that I can get my job done an hour
instead of a day and even get to keep my hair! :)

enough ranting, using CR for reports from phpgw you're going to have to invent
your
own wheel.  Using something else you'll probably have to move some logic from
the
report into the data fetching/prepairing routines, but at least here you'll get
use a real scripting language to do it in.