Re: smtp to localhost - was Re: [Phpgroupware-users] configuring smtp au

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: smtp to localhost - was Re: [Phpgroupware-users] configuring smtp auth in email app
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:38:46 +1100

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 09:40 +0100, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Next round:
>
> I have setup phpgw to send emails via localhost.
>
> On one server that works as expected, on the other I get "connection
> refused" und "cannot open socket". I compared the configuration of both
> servers and did not find any difference, neither in php.ini, mta-config
> nor anything else I can think of (even dns).
> On the machine where it does not work I can make it work using the
> external ip address in smtp config in phpgw, so I do not have an urgent
> problem.
>
> But I would like to find it. What do php/Apache need to open a socket to
> the local mta?

They should just be opening a tcp socket to localhost port 25

Maybe try sshing to the server (or using the console).  su to the apache
user and try the following:

$ telnet localhost 25

You should get back something similar to:

220 mail.skwashd.com ESMTP Server <Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail
Service>

It is really neat how postfix lets you change the server string :)

Then follow this example for testing that mail can be sent from the box
- see http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archive/2005/03/15/394681.aspx

Let us know how well that works.  btw which mta?

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall (aka skwashd)