platform-testers

Re: [platform-testers] [Grep-devel] new snapshot available: grep-3.1.51-

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] [Grep-devel] new snapshot available: grep-3.1.51-e767
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 09:11:35 -0800

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Jose E. Marchesi <address@hidden> wrote:
> In Oracle Linux 6.9 on a SPARC S7 (sparc64):
>
> pcre: skipped test: no PCRE support
> SKIP: pcre
> pcre-abort: skipped test: no PCRE support
>
> I had to manually skip mb-non-UTF8-performance because the `times' perl
> command in this system always returns 0 for all four times, so the while
> loop in the test driver never finishes (ugh).

Ugh. Which version of perl is that? I.e., what does perl -V print?
After the release, I'll consider adding a require_perl_times_ function
that will cause that test to be skipped on such systems.

> Also:
>
> address@hidden build]$ i=200; printf %0${i}0000d 0|tr 0 '(' > in; src/grep
> -Ef in; echo $?
> grep: stack overflow
> 2

Hi Jose,
Thanks for testing on those less-common systems and for reporting the results.
I guess you know that you can avoid those skipped tests if you first
install libpcre.

Without PCRE, grep's -P option does not work. I've become so dependent
on that (for command-line use at least), I would never accept its
absence on any system I use :-)