platform-testers

Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.31.90-cc4c.ta

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: coreutils-8.31.90-cc4c.tar.xz
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 21:40:28 +0100

Pádraig Brady writes:

>> Would you be willing to also provide a GZIP compressed version of future
>> sed releases too? (patch attached).
>> For some background see this blog post
>> https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-reduces-bootstrap-seed-by-50/, the
>> next reduction will remove programs like sed from the bootstrap seed.
>> XZ can only be built after we have a fairly recent GCC and glibc.
>
> Interesting. Would xz require much tweaking to target older systems?

Neither xz-5.0.0 (used in the bootstrap) nor the more current 5.2.4 can
be built with a simple compiler (like tcc); it depends on a fairly
recent gcc 4, and thus fairly recent glibc.  Those are not trivial to
bootstrap from source.

> Given coreutils is quite fundamental, let's provide a gzipped tarball for now.

Thank you!

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com