playogg-discuss

[playogg-discuss] Minimum specs for tremor

From: Alec Wright
Subject: [playogg-discuss] Minimum specs for tremor
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:36:31 +0100

What sort of system can tremor be used on? I'm just thinking at the moment about the possibility of making an integrated media player using an AVR microcontroller. People have interfaced them with SD cards before, and I could easily stick a 16-bit DAC on the output. But could I run tremor in real-time? The two micros im considering using are:
ATMEGA2560 - 256KiB program memory, 16MHz, 8KiB of RAM
or possibly the faster:
ATXMEGA128A1 - 128KiB program memory, 32MHz clock, 8KiB of RAM

I noticed that one of the source files defined a char[4096], which would use up half of the RAM by itself, so I wouldnt be surprised if this would just be impossible.