poke-devel

Which variables to heap-allocate

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Which variables to heap-allocate
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 23:30:56 +0200

Hello José, and everybody.

I have tried looking up the reference I was hinting at during our
meeting over Jitsi.

* RABBIT: A Compiler for SCHEME  (Steele 1978)
  http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/6913?show=full
  the page numbered 70 in the PDF file, printed as 60

* This article about Orbit, by Kranz, Reez, Hudak and others:
  http://people.csail.mit.edu/riastradh/t/adams86orbit.pdf
  §3.3 Assignment conversion

(Unfortunately CPS is just a complication, for our purposes)

I think that either Kranz's or Steele's PhD thesis treats the topic in a
more complete way, but I cannot find that quickly.

I found Dybvig's dissertation instead, which is certainly relevant:
  https://www.cs.unm.edu/~williams/cs491/three-imp.pdf
I think this is the first time I see it.  The interesting part is around
the page numbered 109 in the PDF file, displayed as 99.

Notice the idea of the box -- the same idea of an ML «ref», here hidden
as one of the possible implementation of a variable.  It is nothing
terribly new, and in fact I remember this very idea from in the document
I cannot find.

--
Luca Saiu
* My personal web site:  http://ageinghacker.net

I support everyone's freedom of mocking any opinion or belief, no
matter how deeply held, with open disrespect and the same unrelented
enthusiasm of a toddler who has just learned the word "poo".