poke-devel

Re: poke-el documentation?

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: poke-el documentation?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2023 16:55:23 +0200

Hi Yuri.

> Hi everyone. I tried to use poke-el, but aside from following the
> "introduction to GNU poke" video, there's not much documentation I can
> see. Did I miss anything?

Not really.  There is a poke-el.texi manual in
https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/poke/poke-mode.git, but it is very
incomplete at this point.

> After installing pole-el via elpa, you're left on a *poke-repl* prompt
> where all dot-commands mentioned in the manual are invalid, which is
> counter-intuitive after reading the introduction in the manual and
> trying the cli.

Right.  The dot-commands are specific to the poke CLI.  Supporting them
in the poke-mode REPL is something that most likely we want to do, but
that has to be implemented.

> Looking at the video I can see I should use open() directly instead. I
> guess I'm talking to poked and this is a poke function call directly,
> but is written somewhere how the dot-commands relate to the actual poke
> language?

I think the poke manual explains that.  Dot-commands are CLI artifacts.
They are not implemented in Poke itself.

The `open' function (and openset) is a normal Poke function that is part
of the run-time and standard library.

> After trying it for the first time I literally had _no idea_ what
> to do except trying to watch the video again.

My apologies.  But please understand that poke is basically still a
one-person project for most practical purposes, and my time stretches
just so much.  I will work further and complete the poke-el manual, but
that will require a little time.