poke-devel

RFC: Access to device drivers with mmap()

From: Andreas Klinger
Subject: RFC: Access to device drivers with mmap()
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 12:38:57 +0100

Hi,

I'm writing Linux device drivers in which there is a mmap() file operation for
mapping the memory from the kernel driver to the userspace. These drivers have
no read() or write() functions.

I would like to investigate the content of this memory area with poke as it
contains structured data (mostly picture images).

What I've seen so far is that poke is always accessing an opened file with
lseek(), read(), write() but never with mmap() what I would need in my case.

Or did I miss something?

Would it be possible to introduce a new command (.mmap) for this purpose?

If yes, I would also participate in development.

Andreas