pspp-dev

Re: [Pspp-commits] [SCM] GNU PSPP branch, master, updated. v1.4.0-87-g31

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: [Pspp-commits] [SCM] GNU PSPP branch, master, updated. v1.4.0-87-g31d82a2
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 12:50:45 +0200

> Am 06.09.2020 um 09:22 schrieb John Darrington <john@darrington.wattle.id.au>:
>
> I'm also concerned about how ubiquitous "appstream" is.  Will people using
> other distributions
> (Slackware, FreeBSD ...) be able to easily install it?

With the recent fix in the makefile the pspp.pot file is rebuild now also when
building from the
distribution package - you see the last bug report when building without gui.
Before that the
pspp.pot file was never rebuild when building from a distribution. We have

xgettext 0.19.8.1: Without patches crashes with the —-its option
xgettext 0.20:     Works without the appstream package - no metainfo.its file
required - builtin
appstream:         Available on opensuse,ubuntu and debian - makes it work with
distribution version 0.19.8.1

So either a distribution has gettext 0.20 or 0.19 (some patches?) with the
metainfo file. Otherwise the
org.fsf.pspp.metainfo.xml file will not be translated.

I pushed a change that this is not a build requirement but just a warning
during configure.