pspp-dev

Re: struct psppire_output_view

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: struct psppire_output_view
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 08:55:05 -0700

It sounds like starting over is reasonable. If you have time and the inclination to do that, then I'm all for it.

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 1:37 AM John Darrington <john@cellform.com> wrote:
I think struct psppire_output_view is needlessly complicated.
It contains a GtkLayout which only ever has one child, namely a single
GtkDrawingArea.  So far as I can tell, this drawing area is destoyed and
recreated on every expose event, which has to be both expensive and cumbersome.

It also contains a member called toplevel which is set but never used.

Above all, I have great trouble understanding how it works.  I guess this is
because it is something created over ten years ago (by myself!) and has evolved
over time, with a lot of contribution by Ben.

We could try to clean it up, but I wonder if it might not be better to start
again from scratch?  If we ever want to make pivot tables interactive, this will
probably be essential anyway.

J'