psychosynth-devel

[psynth-devel] Re: psychosynth in Squeeze

From: Thomas Goirand
Subject: [psynth-devel] Re: psychosynth in Squeeze
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:32:56 +0800

On 03/19/2011 08:48 PM, Juan Pedro Bolívar Puente wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> On 19/03/11 13:38, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm Thomas, and I'm a DD. I tried to used your software in Squeeze, but
>> as you didn't provide a amd64 version, I tried to build it myself.
>>
>> First of all, your control file isn't right, it misses many build
>> dependencies. I tried to add some that I found needed, there must be
>> some more needed, but at least that's a start. I've attached the
>> resulting debian/control file to this email. Please fix your
>> debian/control file as well.
>>
>> Now, even having libsoundtouch1-dev installed on my system, the
>> ./configure script fails with the following error:
>>
>> configure: error:
>>
>> ***
>> *** You need libsoundtouch to compile the program.
>> *** Install it and run this script again.
>> ***
>>
>> make: *** [config.status] Error 1
>> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
>>
>> Do you have any idea how to fix it?
>>

> Thanks a lot for your interest in the software. As you say,
> libsoundtouch1 can't be found on Debian Sid now. The problem is that for
> some reason the libosundtouch name provided by it's .pc file changed
> recently -- after the Squeeze release when Sid gets active again :p
> Actually, the software can't be compiled in pure Debian Sid at all
> because libceguiogre (or libceguiogrerenderer or sth like that) is
> missing --probably because it is incompatible with Ogre 1.7 that is
> shipped with Sid.

All you say above might be truth, however, I'm trying to compile in
Squeeze right now, not in SID.

> Anyway, the control file is very outdated and I lack enough Debian
> knowledge to keep it clean and updated.

I can help... :)

> Have you tried compiling it --normaly, not via the control file-- in
> Squeeze? That should work and give you a starting point.

That's the point, it does *not* work at all.The ./configure script fails
as said above.

> On the other hand, I expect to make a new release in a few days/weeeks
> that includes all the code rewrite that is being held as part of my
> Masther Thesis project. That release should work (almost) on Debian, not
> taking into account the libceguiogre issue needed to build the 3D UI.

I first want to *try* your software in Squeeze for my own use, because I
love playing with music software. Then, if I like it, I will help to
have it reach SID. There's no hurry for that 2nd part, but the sooner
you start, the better it is, because that can be a long process.

> I actually do need one; I sent an RFP long time ago with no luck [1]. I
> appreciate a your collaboration.

Then, you've found one! :)

But it seems you didn't understand what a sponsor is. I don't want to be
the *debian maintainer* for your package (I got enough work to do on
other packages), but I am OK to help you to be that maintainer, and I
can upload your package into Debian, which is what a sponsor does.

> Btw, Alexander Morgado is already maintaining a Ubuntu/Trisquel PPA.
> You can find more information on the webpage. If you want to contact
> him to join efforts you could join the address@hidden
> mailing list.

Ok, maybe that's a good starting point so that we have a team of people
working on Debian packaging. However, I have to say that I'm not
interested at all by Ubuntu, which disappointed me multiple time. I just
want things to be done for Debian, and if by miracle, Ubuntu guys
succeed in importing our Debian work without issue, then fine...

Thomas