pupa-devel

Re: PUPA shell

From: Yoshinori Okuji
Subject: Re: PUPA shell
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:59:34 +0100 (BST)

I think it is better to change the name of the executable.

In GRUB, many people mistake /sbin/grub with the command-line interface in
GRUB, because they assume that "shell" means "command-line" (it's not true,
though). So the consensus is that the naming of the grub shell is bad.

Also, the software name is GRUB, and the executable name is grub, so this
causes confusion, too.

IMO, the grub shell should be renamed to the grub emulator or something. And,
the executable should be called "grub-emulator" or something similar.

Likewise, your executable should be renamed to pupa-emulator or something, and
we should call it "the pupa emulator".

What do you think?

Okuji

P.S. I say this, because PUPA should solve all known issues in the ancestor
GRUB. In GRUB, we cannot change many things for the backward compatibility, but
we can do with PUPA with no problem.